Thursday, September 24, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons...or Dinosaurs

Kindergarten children are hilarious. What is most funny about them is that they don't know how funny they are. We practiced clapping syllables in words today. We must have clapped forty seven words...LE-MONS! WA-GON! DI-NO-SAUR! JEEP! It was beautiful--they were getting every single one...and then, they went to their seats. Suddenly, I'm walking around the room and I hear, "Be-e-ed! Three!" (That's bed, by the way.) Everything we had just practiced had absolutely NO application to what they were currently doing. And they were so sure they were RIGHT. When I went around and pointed out that bed, in fact, has ONE syllable, not three, they stared at me blankly and then demonstrated the three claps in the word. Clearly, we needed more practice. So, with some major assistance, everyone managed to get all their words sorted correctly and ended up with stickers on their papers. And yet, tomorrow, when we go over this again, I'll hear, "LE-MONS! THREE!" Oh well...when life gives you lemons, pretend it has three syllables, like lemonade.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I lo-ov-ve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to your blog! I thought it might be you on Angela's sidebar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kindergarten! I am teaching in fourth grade now. What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good that you are documenting the funny things your class says and does. You will always treasures these.

    ReplyDelete